Dear Friend of Poetry,
Vermont Poet Laureate Galway Kinnell once said, “The secret title of every good poem might be Tenderness”.
And doesn’t the world need a bit more tenderness – a bit more poetry – just now?
Because of your past generosity, Sundog Poetry Center has already infused some tenderness into our state this year through exciting poetry programming. You have made it possible to:
- publish Vermont Poets and Their Craft Anthologyin collaboration with Green Writers Press and host the first reading from the anthology in Montpelier, which was video-recorded by ORCA Media;
- bring AMP Nights! to Lamoille County, featuring artists, poets, and musicians and reaching over 100 audience members;
- work with Jericho Town Library to offer Mary Jane Dickerson’s 17th annual poetry month workshop series, which culminated with a reading at the Deborah Rawson Memorial Library in Underhill and was recorded by MMCTV;
- plan our second Justice – and Poetry – For All: A Celebration of Poems by New Americans, which will take place on June 21 at North End Studios, Studio A, in Burlington, with guest poet Julia Alvarez.
With your continued generosity, you will help us continue to nurture tenderness in Vermont’s culture by supporting the development of the second half of Sundog’s 2019 programming, including:
- our upcoming September retreat at Fielder Farm: Two Things the Mouth Loves: Food & Poetry with poet Neil Shepard and anthropologist Kate Riley;
- a second 2019 book published by Sundog Poetry Center and edited by Stephen Cramer: Turn It Up! Music in Poetry from Jazz to Hip Hop;
- our fourth annual Share Your Heart, Share the World! event that connects 50+ high schoolers with some of Vermont’s leading poets;
- our sixth annual November Retreat at Fielder Farm with Mary Jane Dickerson and Diana Whitney.
Your contribution, mailed today, will help us develop, market, and carry out our programming, allowing us to support Vermont poetry and poets – those who are some of the most important defenders of tenderness.
With sincere thanks and appreciation,
The Sundog Poetry Center Board of Directors
Tamra J. Higgins Mary Jane Dickerson Neil Shepard
Judith Yarnall Pamela Harrison Lucy Higgins
P.S. Your tax-exempt donation will have a direct impact on poetry in Vermont. Galway Kinnell is also known to have said, “To me, poetry is somebody standing up, so to speak, and saying, with as little concealment as possible, what it is for him or her to be on earth at this moment.” Won’t you join us in bringing tenderness to our earthly Vermont home?